Sunday 15 June 2014

FOURTH WORLD INTERLUDE - THE APOCRYPHA UPDATE

A few days ago, I mentioned that I was compiling a list of stories from the non-Kirby titles that link, albeit sometimes very loosely, into the Fourth World saga during the tetralogy's original run. In the end, I came up with a shorter than I expected list of seven stories, five from the pages of Lois Lane, and two from the post-Kirby issues of Jimmy Olsen. All seven stories were published prior to DC cancelling New Gods and Forever People at the end of 1972. As I said, some of the connections are tenuous at best, but I will include them as extra entries in Fourth World Thursday/Friday when I reach the appropriate point. The seven stories are...

An apocryphal Desaad appearance in Lois Lane #116
LOIS LANE #111 (7/71) - Dark Side Of The Justice League (DNA Project, Intergang appear, Evil Factory BTS)
LOIS LANE #115 (10/71) - My Death, By Lois Lane (Black Racer, Intergang, Morgan Edge)
LOIS LANE #116 (11/71) - Hall Of 1,000 Mirrors (Darkseid, Edge, Desaad, Happyland)
LOIS LANE #118 (1/72) - Edge Of Darkness (Evil Factory, Edge, Darkseid)
LOIS LANE #119 (2/72) - Inside The Outsiders (Edge, The Outsiders (subplot only))
JIMMY OLSEN #150 (6/72) - Where's Charlie Now? (back-up story - Newsboy Legion, Angry Charlie)
JIMMY OLSEN #152 (8-9/72) - The Double Edged Sword (Darkseid, Edge, The Outsiders)

There's also a reference to Darkseid in the story "The Hero Superman Doomed To Die!" in Action Comics #408 (January 1972). I haven't yet had a chance to check out that story, but I believe it to be no more than a mention and thus not worthy of inclusion.

These apocryphal stories won't take the place of the regular Fourth World Thursday updates, I plan to do an extra update that week.
If anyone knows of any other non-Kirby Fourth World stories from the 1970-74 period, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.
I'll be back tomorrow with the first edition of Muck Monster Monday, then Thursday with Fourth World Thursday.
See you soon,
Steve


 

No comments:

Post a Comment